Saturday, March 24, 2012

pancakes, syrup and whipped cream recipes...homemade everything!

Weekday mornings are super busy for our family.  Since I don't have time to cook in the morning, my kids usualy have cereal, oatmeal, toast or bagel for breakfast.  So when the weekend comes, I usually try to make it up by making their favourite breakfast foods.

Today was pancake day.  :-)

I don't remember the last time I've bought a ready-made pancake mix.  Pancakes are so easy to make...all you need is a whisk, a big bowl and this recipe:


Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat a lightly oiled griddle over medium-high heat.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Add egg, milk and oil.  Beat until smooth.  
Pour or scoop the batter onto the hot griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake.  Brown on both sides and serve hot.  (from allrecipes)


See?  Easy peasy!  I usually add a teaspoon or two of cinnamon if I'm making plain pancakes.
I've also used this same recipe for blueberry and banana pancakes.

Chocolate chips were the special ingredients today.  I don't mix the chocolate chips in the batter...I sprinkle them on the batter while cooking.  This prevents the chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom.




I had leftover whipping cream in the fridge so I made whipped cream and because we had no syrup in the house, I also made homemade honey syrup.  The syrup turned out amazing!  I used half light and half dark corn syrup and also added a tablespoon of butter for flavour.

Yes that's right...homemade pancakes, syrup and whipped cream! 

I think I just gained five pounds this morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment